Tuesday, 20 September 2011

You're A Whore

This evening I came across something quite refreshing and amusing by Natalya Lobanova [ via Booooooom.com].

I haven't looked through Booooooom's blog in a while, as it can normally generate some interesting and quite a variety of artists, but I was quite glad I stumbled through it today, as Natalya's work has a similar naive essence of Ian Stevenson and David Shrigley and the boldness, although not so extreme, bluntness of Tracey Emin.

The first illustration that I came across was the one that really drew me in, as it plays with ideology of the female lifestyle. I am constantly frustrated by the peer pressure that women, especially teens and young adults, are put under by magazines and TV. This is what led me to do this piece, about the pressures of not being pale which More! happily reinforced with YOU MUST TAN OR BE REJECTED BY YOUR PEERS in an issue in the early summer 2010.[My legs took personal offense].

For Sketchbook Project 2011.
Anti-feminine design.
So, Natalyas simple and blunt pieces. I think what really appeals to me in her work, is her sense of humour which is similar to mine I think in its bluntness. Her illustrations and handwriting suits each piece with the tone of voice, colours and context which is why I think they all work so well individually and as a collection. I notice she has been working on a zine,which I might try and get my hands on!
The first illustration that really interested me in Natalyas work and felt I could relate to with the subject matter of ideal feminine beauty.

Beautiful rendered with a graceful tone of irony and satire. A mix of feminine illustration and beautifully direct wit, lowering the tone of the aesthetics.

I can relate to this image, not being an overly feminine young lady, and despise overly pink and cute things. This mix of femininity with humour that demoralizes it.

 Bluntness- fabulous!

Imagery with attitude.

 A lovely, long awaited message against the very commercial,overly popular, posters.



 Images taken from Natalyas Tumblr Happy 2 b Sad
Please check out all her illustrations

No comments:

Post a Comment